Posts Tagged ‘self defense’
The importance of being able to defend yourself is more apparent each day. Learning self defense is something that everyone in the family can participate in and there are classes happening all across the country for entire family.
Self defense classes will give you a good base knowledge of how to ward off an attack. This will deal with what you can do to disorient an attacker and give you enough time to make an escape. These are great strategies, especially for children. They might not have the strength to overpower an attacker, but they might have an opportunity to put them out of commission for a few minutes to make an escape.
This kind of training will also pertain to using the force of the attack against the one who is assaulting. Being able to turn the tables quickly and think clearly is something that can rarely be done without training in doing just that. In many cases these attacks are swift and very unexpected, so being able to immediately assess the situation and turn that situation against the attacker can save your life.
As the head of a household, this kind of training can also be valuable as no one is safe from things like burglary or muggings. However, as this head of a household, it is also your responsibility to arm your family with the self defense knowledge that can keep them safe even when you happen to be away.
These courses for self defense will cover all kinds of scenarios, offering solutions for attacks and assaults from virtually any angle. This means that with enough time and focus, you can literally be prepared for nearly anything. Not only this, but this is a great way to bond with your family while expressing how much you care about them. Showing such a personal interest in the safety of all of your family members can have a lasting impact on the people they become later in their life.
Self defense courses should be available in your town, or in a city near to you. Looking online should be a good way to determine the closest courses to you, and when they are starting up classes for new participants. Remember that you are able to arm yourself with a strategy to save your own life, if you take the steps to learn this strategy.
Pepper spray is an excellent non-lethal self defense item. You can find a variety of self defense sprays / pepper sprays at Harry’s Army Surplus. In order to maximize the effectiveness, you need to know how to use it properly. Don’t get caught off guard fumbling for your pepper spray during an attack. The best time to learn how to properly use pepper spray is before you find yourself becoming a potential victim. Here are a few dos and don’ts to keep in mind.
- Shout “STOP” loudly as you aim and fire. Anything to disorient your attacker helps.
- Make sure you have the range in order to make the spray contact your attacker’s face.
- Spray in 2 to 3 second bursts. If needed, you can spray again.
- Sweep across the attacker’s face in a Z pattern, making sure to hit the eyes and nose.
- Pay attention to wind direction. You don’t want to end up with the spray blowing back into your own face.
- Shoot and back up. The goal is to give yourself the means to escape.
- Extend your arm all the way out to fire. Your attacker could grab your arm and try to pull or disarm you.
- Close your eyes. Keep your eyes on your attacker at all times. You may need to re-aim.
- Keep pepper spray in a hot car. The heat can damage the rubber seals causing the contents to leak.
- Expect pepper spray to completely incapacitate a person. It is designed to disorient so you have time to escape.
- Let your pepper spray expire. Keep an eye on that expiration date and replace it before it loses its effectiveness.
Get used to carrying and firing your pepper spray. Try to have it in an easily accessible location and keep it there so you are not searching for it in a time of need. Practice firing the spray so you are aware of the shot distance and whether the consistency is oily or foamy. It will take a few seconds for the burning and stinging to take effect, and the effect can last anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes.
Harry’s Army Surplus has a wide selection of pepper spray to fit all needs. If you are in the Metro-Detroit area, stop on by and check us out or order online!