Posts Tagged ‘metro detroit’
More than just a cool fashion trend, dog tags are an important means of identification for military members. Before uniformly printed tags started showing up in the United States around the 1900′s, soldiers would print their own identification on paper or other items worn on the body to assist in identifying them in case of the unthinkable. Dog tags have two main purposes; identification of fallen soldiers, and important medical information in case the soldier is unable to speak or unconscious. Nowadays, tags usually follow a five line format:
Dog tags are a great way to express yourself even if you are not in the military. Favorite quotes, beliefs, song lyrics, or anniversaries are just a few of the things being printed on tags. Harry’s Army Surplus offers personalized dog tags. Four lines with 16 characters per line, letters, numbers, and the symbols - , . / with the option to add silencers on a ball chain with smaller second chain. Your imagination is the limit on what you can print. If you are in the Metro-Detroit area, you may choose to pick up your tags in store. Order some dog tags and express yourself today!
Pepper spray is an excellent non-lethal self defense item. You can find a variety of self defense sprays / pepper sprays at Harry’s Army Surplus. In order to maximize the effectiveness, you need to know how to use it properly. Don’t get caught off guard fumbling for your pepper spray during an attack. The best time to learn how to properly use pepper spray is before you find yourself becoming a potential victim. Here are a few dos and don’ts to keep in mind.
- Shout “STOP” loudly as you aim and fire. Anything to disorient your attacker helps.
- Make sure you have the range in order to make the spray contact your attacker’s face.
- Spray in 2 to 3 second bursts. If needed, you can spray again.
- Sweep across the attacker’s face in a Z pattern, making sure to hit the eyes and nose.
- Pay attention to wind direction. You don’t want to end up with the spray blowing back into your own face.
- Shoot and back up. The goal is to give yourself the means to escape.
- Extend your arm all the way out to fire. Your attacker could grab your arm and try to pull or disarm you.
- Close your eyes. Keep your eyes on your attacker at all times. You may need to re-aim.
- Keep pepper spray in a hot car. The heat can damage the rubber seals causing the contents to leak.
- Expect pepper spray to completely incapacitate a person. It is designed to disorient so you have time to escape.
- Let your pepper spray expire. Keep an eye on that expiration date and replace it before it loses its effectiveness.
Get used to carrying and firing your pepper spray. Try to have it in an easily accessible location and keep it there so you are not searching for it in a time of need. Practice firing the spray so you are aware of the shot distance and whether the consistency is oily or foamy. It will take a few seconds for the burning and stinging to take effect, and the effect can last anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes.
Harry’s Army Surplus has a wide selection of pepper spray to fit all needs. If you are in the Metro-Detroit area, stop on by and check us out or order online!
The military parachute bag is one of our most popular military bags. It’s great for travel and transporting heavy items because of the heavy duty materials. The heavyweight canvas makes this
parachute cargo bag extremely durable. Good for packing more than just parachutes, this bag measures 24″ X 15″ X 13″ and can fit all sorts of goodies. The reinforced web handles go from top to bottom and
the full length zipper is covered by a snap flap. This bag can withstand most anything you throw at it. This parachute bag is available in olive drab, black, navy, and coyote.
Buy your bag online at Harry’s Army Surplus in Metro-Detroit or online!