Posts Tagged ‘gold bond’
Feet sweat. It’s a fact of life. It’s normal. Nevertheless, you want to try to keep your feet as dry as you can. Damp sweaty feet are not just uncomfortable, they can lead to problems such as Athlete’s Foot and painful sores. Excessive moisture in socks and boots combined with body heat creates the perfect breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria, bacteria that can cause nasty foot odors or even Athlete’s Foot. Too much dampness in socks can cause feet to slide around in boots, causing blisters and painful callouses to develop. Luckily, your team at Harry’s Army Surplus has scrounged up some good intel on quick, easy ways to combat the sweat!
- Wash Feet Daily. Give the dogs a good scrubbing every day with some antibacterial soap. Wash twice daily if sweat is excessive.
- Dry Feet Completely. Really get in there, dry in between those toes. Don’t skip this step! You don’t want to bring any moisture into your boots. Use a hairdryer on a cool setting if needed.
- Use Foot Powder. Sprinkle on the bottoms of feet and in between toes. There are a lot of choices out there, but we don’t recommend cornstarch based powders; when they get moist, they can gum up and leave a gross paste in your toes. Harry’s has military grade foot powder available in store. Drug stores have good options, such as Gold Bond or Dr. Scholl’s.
- Chose The Right Sock. Don’t go for cotton. Cotton will absorb sweat like a sponge and keep it trapped on your foot. You’ll want a good wool sock or synthetic moisture wicking material. Wigwam makes some wonderful socks that we love.
- Let Boots Dry. Boots and shoes need at least 24 hours to sufficiently dry out. Rotate your footwear and don’t wear the same boots 2 days in a row, if you do your boots will never dry and will get really funky fast.
With winter coming up fast, this information is just as valuable as in the hot summer. Dry feet are happy, warm feet. Wet feet trap cold, giving rise to cold weather injuries like frostbite. Come visit Harry’s Army Surplus and keep those feet dry and comfy!