Check out our review of the Fox Tactical Excursionary Hydration Pack! This hydration pack not only has room for a bladder, but has several other compartments for the other gear you need. Another great feature is the MOLLE compatible webbing, allowing you to attach a variety of pouches to the pack. Hydration packs are extremely convenient and great to have. Check out all of our gear at Harry’s and for more great product reviews, check out our Youtube channel .
We’re finally seeing some warm weather here in the Midwest and if you’re anything like us, warm weather and sunshine means being outdoors. Camping is a great activity that you can start in the spring and continue doing until the fall hits (as long as you dress warm and bring enough blankets). It’s also a great activity for families from an economical standpoint as it’s very reasonable and also loads of fun. From a timing standpoint, you can camp for a weekend easily or for longer if you have more time off!
Over on our website, we carry products from two brands in particular that will get your camping supply
Spring is the perfect time for hiking and whether you are just starting out with a short 4 hour hike or planning a 3 day trek, you are going to need a pack suitable to hold your gear.
Choosing the right the hiking pack is very important and your comfort level depends on it. We have put together a list of factors and features that you need to consider and look for when choosing your perfect pack.
1) Size- The size of the pack is going to depend on how long your hike is going to be. Make a list of all the gear you are planning on taking with you, that way you can estimate how much space you are going to need for your gear.
2) Weight- The weight of the pack is important. You don’t want something that is too light and may break, but you don’t want something that is overly heavy. Remember, you still need to fill the pack with gear and YOU are going to be the one carrying it.
3) Material- The material of the pack is important. Some materials are tougher and more water resistant that others, so think about how much and what type of gear you are bringing.
4) Comfort Features- Being comfortable while hiking will make your trip way better. Padded shoulder straps are always nice and thicker straps usually are more comfortable. Many packs can come with a waist strap, which helps even out the weight of the pack across your body. Waist straps can also come with padding. Manufacturers are also including padding on the back of the pack, so you can be as comfortable as possible.
5) Other Optional Features- Packs with rain covers are a great idea, especially if you are hiking during an areas rainy season. If you are doing an overnight hike, a pack with a specific “sleeping bag holder” would be useful. This ensures you have a specific spot for your sleeping bag and helps keep your gear organized. Another optional feature to look for would be a pack with a hydration bladder pocket. This feature is really a personal preference, ‘Do you want to carry a water bottle?’ or ‘Do you want to drink your water hands-free?’
We have also come up with a list of hiking packs that we feel are great options for hikers.
1) Advanced Mountaineering Tactical Backpack- What’s not to love about a tactical backpack with 4,000 cubic inches of space? This backpack prides itself on being large enough to hold all of your items while still remaining comfortable enough to carry on long hikes. This one is a definite must have, especially at a sale price of $84.99!
2) Advanced Multi-cam 3-Day Combat Pack-If you have a larger budget, this hiking pack is a great price at $119.99! This pack has enough room to carry equipment for 3 days worth of camping or hiking including a hydration pocket, MOLLE attachments, and a padded backing.
3) Looking to start out small? This Khaki Military Tactical Transport Pack is small enough to carry comfortably but large enough to carry all of your necessary equipment. This backpack is even water repellent and will keep all of your supplies dry despite rainy conditions! Perfect for anyone just beginning to hike as a hobby, this pack is only $49.95.
4) Condor Outdoor Compact Assault Backpack; this pack comes in a bright red, features multiple pockets for plenty of storage, a built in hydration pocket, and adjustable shoulder straps. Extremely affordable at $59.95!
Warm weather means spending more time outdoors and we’re all ready for that! One of our favorite things to do during the spring and summer is go hiking. Here’s a great list of what to look for if you’re in the market for some new hiking boots!
1) Comfort: Make sure you take the time to test out different boots in the store, walking around to see how the boots feel. Make sure the boots have enough support, while still having enough cushion for your feet. You also want to make sure that your feet are comfortable, yet secure in the boot. If the boots are too loose, then your feet will slip around in the boot. If you are walking downhill this means your toes will slide to the top of the shoe or boot causing great discomfort. The same can also be said if the boot is too small. We have known plenty of hikers that have lost toenails from getting the wrong size boot!!!
2) Water Resistance: Hiking on outdoor trails brings lots of different types of weather and terrain. You definitely don’t want rain that you encounter halfway through the hike to make your boots squishy, wet, cold, and uncomfortable. Buying a waterproof boot will keep your feet dry and warm if you encounter some sudden showers or if you’re hiking through puddles, creeks, or streams.
3) Weight: Although there is some contradictions on whether lightweight boots are best for hiking or heavy duty boots that provide good support. In this case, it’s probably going to be best to go with what you find most comfortable! Just keep in mind that a heavy-duty boot, although providing good support, will add weight as you are hiking long distances.
4) Sole: The sole of your boot is one of the main characteristics that will tell you how long a boot will last. The deeper the grooves on the sole, the longer the tread will last. If the treads are thin, they will likely wear out quicker and need to be replaced more frequently.
5) Lastly, the material of the boot is something to take into consideration. Leather hiking boots tend to last longer, but are generally heavier than their nylon or canvas hiking boots.
As many of you may already know, the very popular line of Converse boots has been discontinued. No need to worry, though, Reebok will carry boots that are very similar to the discontinued Converse styles so if you had a favorite Converse boot, make sure to take a look at the new Reebok boots!
Reebok will carry various different styles of boots including military boots, tactical boots, and uniform boots for law enforcement officers, EMT’s, and security guards. Some of my favorite styles include the Reebok Rapid Response Military Boot featuring a composite toe boot that is airport friendly, lightweight, and protects your foot like the comparable steel toe boots.
There is also a comparable version of the men’s rapid response boot for women. The Women’s Rapid Response Boot features many of the same characteristics as the men’s boot including being airport friendly and having a convenient side zipper. There are many other Reebok boots available at Harry’s, take a look and order a pair today!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and we here at Harry’s are ready to help you find the perfect Valentine’s Day gifts for that special someone in your life. Here are our Top Ten picks for Valentine’s Day gifts!
Top 5 Gifts for Guys
1.) Every guy needs a great multi-tool, the Leatherman Wingman Stainless Steel Multi-Tool is affordable at $32.99 and has needle nose pliers, wire cutters, a combo knife, serrated knife, multiple screwdrivers, and more.
2.)For the adventurous guy, an affordable and thoughtful gift would be one of our hydration packs, the MOLLE Compatible Tactical Hydration Pack holds up to two liters and can be used with smaller MOLLE Compatible pouches. This would be perfect for springtime runs or even working out at the gym.
Top 5 Gifts for the Ladies
1.)All girls like purses and what’s better than a vintage style purse that’s cute and affordable? The Cotton Canvas Vintage Pistol Belt Purse in Black is a steal at only $18.99 and has lots of room to store stuff!
2.)If you’re looking to buy a great pair of winter boots that will keep your significant other warm, the Columbia Women’s Ice Maiden will keep her warm and are waterproof.
3.)If you’re partner is into fashion, the Women’s Soft Pink Digital Camo T-Shirt is a perfect choice and very affordable at $8.95!
4.)If you or your family is in the military, a great gift to keep your wife warm is a military insignia fleece blanket; we carry them in U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, and U.S. Marine Corps. These are extremely affordable at $18.95!
5.)Another great gift for keeping the women warm is a Military Inspired Parka that is not only fashionable but warm as well as waterproof! A great deal for a winter coat at only $79!
Each year we celebrate Black History Month during the month of February in both the United States and Canada. An important group of veterans who fought in the Second World War are the Tuskegee Airmen. Not only were they fighting the German Nazis, they were also fighting prejudice in their own homeland.
After being rejected for air service during World War I, groups of young African Americans with an interest in becoming pilots fought for the opportunity during the Second World War. African American college graduates were allowed to train at Tuskegee and these men then comprised the Tuskegee Airmen.
After receiving encouragement from the first lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, they were sent overseas earning an impressive combat record. This was a huge step for African Americans in the fight for civil rights and to show other African American men and women that anything was possible for them. Three of the Tuskegee Airmen Pilots even went on to become generals in the United States Army.
If one of your New Years Resolutions this year was to start prepping, then take a look at this list of the top 10 items you’ll need to start your collection!
1) One of the most important items for our body is fresh drinking water. Key for survival packs is to include a water filtration system. This Katadyn Mini Ceramic Water Filter is small and compact which will make it easy to carry and pack in your survival gear backpack.
2) This Zippo Fire Starter will allow you to keep warm no matter what weather you encounter and it’s small compact size allows you to easily tote it with you in your survival gear pack.
3) Along the same lines as the Fire Starter, this Survival Blanket will keep you warm on cold nights. This blanket is lightweight, reusable, waterproof, and can be folded to fit in your pack for storage and carrying.
4) In case of an emergency happening to you or someone you are travelling with, make sure you have a First Aid Kit handy. This Military Olive Drab Large First Aid Kit contains everything you will need in case of an emergency.
5) Doomsday Preppers often carry some type of weapon for various uses. This 11 Inch Junge Survival Knife Kit contains two separate knives, an 11 in. larger knife and a smaller throwing knife as well as a few other survival accessories. Again, this is compact enough to be stored within your survival pack.
6) To ensure that you never lose track of where you are, make sure you pack a compass in your survival kit. This Multifunction Solar Powered Digital Compass is great because it can be re-charged using solar power so no matter what you encounter, you will be able to continue using this compass.
7) Because you will never want to be in the dark, pack a Solar Powered Lantern with you. This Solar Powered Lantern can be re-charged and has two different modes including one that will save energy.
8) Known for its multitude of uses, Paracord is one of those things you should never leave off of your survival pack checklist.
Pretty much anything you can imagine, you can use Paracord for including making a hammock, gear repair, decoration, security, belt, boot laces, tying food from a tree, etc.
9) The Shark Safety Whistle is imperative to a survival pack emitting a loud whistle that will assist you in search and rescue operations as well as outdoor and personal safety.
10) Last, but definitely not least, you will need a tactical backpack that will hold all of your survival equipment. The Rapid 96 4 Day Tactical Backpack has padded shoulder straps, a padded back, and is MOLLE Compatible so extra pouches can be added for additional room.
Being a military wife, I have had many conversations at the dinner table where I find myself asking, “What does that mean again?” a million times. Anyone who has watched a movie based on the military, have friends in the military, or have even served in the military themselves will say that they have the military has it’s own language, made up of many different acronyms.
Having lived on a military base, it’s a wonder I made it home those first few days after I moved there. Lucky for me, they actually labeled secure zones “Restricted area” and there were guards who were quick to point you on your way if you drove to a spot where you were not allowed access. Most places allowed civilians if you knew what the acronyms stood for, NEX also known as the Navy Exchange is a great place for tax free shopping!
Some of these more common military acronyms will help you keep up during your next chat with your military friends.
-AD: Active Duty
-APO: Army Post Office
-AWOL: Absent Without Leave (I think this one is self explanatory, you DON’T wanna go AWOL)
-BDU: Battle Dress Uniform (Working Uniform)
-CO: Commanding Officer (Also known as the “boss”)
-CONUS: Continental United States
-DOD: Department of Defense
-LES: Leave and Earning Statements (Military pay stub, this requires a degree in military language to read)
-MP: Military Police
-OCONUS: Outside Continental United States
-PCS: Permanent Change of Station (Moving time!)
-USA: United States Army
-USCG: United States Coast Guard
-USMC: United States Marine Corps
-USN: United States Navy
The historic flight jacket was born back in September of 1917 when the United States Army established the Aviation Clothing Board. Sometimes referred to as a bomber jacket or bombardier jacket, the typical flight jacket has high wrap around collars, zipper closures with wide thick wind flaps, snug cuffs, and waits. Some are even fringed and lined with fur. The purpose of the flight jacket was to keep pilots warm since the airplanes then had open cockpits where the pilots were exposed to wind and the elements.
Though the flight or bomber jacket began as a jacket made specifically for military pilots, they have since progressed into a fashion trend that is still popular today. Harry’s has quite a few for you to choose from that we think will keep you warm during the next few winter snow storms.
The Alpha B-15 Flight Jacket is a classic flight jacket with an economical price at $103.88, made tough to battle the harsh elements. Pick one up today in Black, Navy, or Sage Green. If you want to spend a little more money, we have a beautiful Alpha Leather CWU 45/P Flight Jacket for $336.00. This bomber jacket is made from premium cowhide leather that is stylish and warm, styled after the classic US Air Force CWU 45/P flight jacket and features a genuine leather embossed Alpha Velcro Patch.
If you have a child looking to make a fashion statement, pick up a Kid’s WWII Aviator Flight Jacketwith a classic design from the WWII era with a leather-like outer shell.