Fall is here and winter is not too far behind. The time to break out all of your fall and winter gear has arrived! It may seem early to all of you, but it’s better to be prepared than be left in the cold. Here at Harry’s we have come up with a few helpful tips to ensure you stay warm and dry from September to March.
- Most people know to layer their clothing to get optimal warmth, but most people do not layer properly. You need to consider what your clothing is made of to get optimal warmth. The first layer you should put on should be a thermal. You may be thinking of the traditional long underwear, but times and technology has changed. One of our favorite thermal tops is the Terramar Two Layer Authentic Thermal Top. Made of 100% polyester, the two layer construction is optimal for insulation. An air pocket forms between the layers surrounding your body with warm air. This thermal top is also breathable and quick drying to get rid of any sweat. This black thermal is also anti-microbial, which helps prevent embarrassing odors from forming. All of the Terramar thermals are great options for cool and cold temps. Throw a sweatshirt on over top of the thermal and you are set for fall. For winter just throw on your favorite coat!
2. Add Insulation
- A coat or jacket with insulation is a great addition to your winter wardrobe. Having an insulated coat means you will definitely stay warm on the coldest winter days. The Carhartt Traditional Duck Arctic Quilt Lined Coat is a great option for winter. This winter coat comes with the traditional durability and reliability that Carhartt always provides. Available in brown or black, this Carhartt coat comes with arctic weight polyester insulation.
3. Cover up you hands, head, and feet
- Sometimes we get caught up with layering our torso and legs for warmth and forget about other areas that lose heat quickly. Areas like the hands, feet, and ears need to be protected. Besides buying winter boots, wool socks are great for keeping your feet warm and dry. With natural moisture wicking capabilities, sweat will always be wicked away from your feet. Wigwam is our favorite brand. They offer wool socks in different thicknesses for different times of year. The quality is amazing and they are not itchy like the wool socks of the past. For hands and ears, the company Seirus provides many different options and styles in hats and gloves. They even offer different types of facial masks to keep you face protected.
All in all, everyone’s goal is to stay warm in dry in the fall and winter. By taking simple steps and purchasing the right gear, being cold should never be a worry. Harry’s Army Surplus has a huge selection of winter gear including coats, gloves, hats, and insulated boots offered in store and online. Check out our selection before it’s too late!
Paracord, 550 cord, whatever you want to call it is amazing! This survival cord is so versatile, you can use it for just about anything. You can use the cord whole, or pull the strands out of the sheath and use separately. There are dozens of uses for this military cord. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Gear lashing/tie down
- Tent/shelter building
- Boot laces
What are some of your favorite uses for paracord? Leave a comment and let us know! Harry’s Army Surplus has paracord in many different colors and patterns in both nylon and polyester. Come on in and check it out, or visit us online!
Whether you work in construction or are a police officer, you need a boot tailored to fit your specific needs. These needs also change as the seasons do. Working outside in the fall and winter means you have to deal with cool to freezing temperature and snow. Harry’s Army Surplus has the selection of boots you need to keep you warm and dry. Here are 5 boots that we think are great options.
This leather work boot is perfect for anyone working construction needing a steel toe. This 8 inch brown work boot is full of great performance features and won’t let you down. This Keen boot comes with 400 grams of insulation that is sure to keep your feet warm. In addition, this insulated boot comes with a waterproof breathable membrane that will keep water and snow out of the boot, but will also allow water vapor caused by foot sweat to escape. The lining of the boot is also made up of moisture wicking fabric to help keep your feet dry. These waterproof boots have left and right asymmetrical steel toes to increase your comfort level.
If you work in law enforcement or security, the Bates 2488 GX-8 insulated boot is just what you need on those cold winter days. Made of full grain black leather and ballistic nylon, these uniform boots are durable and lightweight. The athletic cut of this boot makes chasing after a criminal easy. The oil and slip resistant outsole will help keep you on your feet. These black duty boots come with a breathable, waterproof Gore-tex membrane to keep your feet dry. This membrane will keep water out of the boot, while allowing water vapor from sweat to escape. To keep you warm, Bates has added 200 grams of Thinsulate insulation.
If you are looking for a heavy duty work boot that can stand up to the elements, but you don’t need a steel toe, then you should definitely take a look at the Carolina CA7013. Carolina Boots has made sure these boots are comfortable by featuring cushioned footbeds and a supportive steel shanks. This Carolina work boot has a waterproof Scubaliner to keep your feet completely dry and for warmth, each boot has 400 grams of Thinsulate insulation. Other great features include a Vibram outsole, welt construction, and these boots are electrical hazard rated.
For those of you looking for something a little more heavy duty than what we’ve listed so far this, boot is for you. The Lacrosse Safety Pac work boot is perfect for those of you operating machinery and working outdoors all winter long. This durable boot is made with full grain leather that has been treated with Hyper-Dri, which is a scent free, waterproof barrier that lines the entire boot for 100% protection. For warmth, each boot has 1000 grams of Thinsulate Ultra Insulation, ensuring that your feet will stay toasty warm. The outsole was specifically designed for cold weather traction and debris release. The composite toe caps provide the same toe protection as a steel toe, but are non metallic and a lot lighter. This boot will definitely get you through the harshest of winters.
The Danner Striker II uniform boot without insulation has been one of our best selling uniform boots, and the insulated version is no different. The Danner 42919 comes with a waterproof, breathable Gore-tex membrane, which prevents water from getting into the boot, but allows water vapor from sweat to escape. The black leather boot comes with 400 grams of Thinsulate Ultra Insulation for warmth. The 1000 denier nylon upper material is extremely abrasion resistant, is easy to clean, and improves breathability. This boot is built on a TERRA FORCE X Lite performance platform, which provides enhanced support, traction, and comfort. The outsole is oil and slip resistant ensuring you will stay on your feet. Overall this duty boot is one of the best on the market and you will not regret ordering it.
There is no wonder why Carhartt is beloved by so many people. From construction workers to kids on the street, people have been wearing Carhartt clothing for generations. Founded in 1889 to supply railroad workers, Carhartt focuses on quality and durability.
This classic coat is wonderful. Made of 12-ounce, 100% ring-spun cotton duck, the coat is equipped with two chest pockets, two large lower front pockets, and two inside pockets. The corduroy collar offers under-collar snaps to accommodate an optional hood. The main seams are triple stitched, and the split back plus pleated elbows work to ensure easy movement.
Carhartt’s founder, Hamilton Carhartt, grew up here in Southern Michigan. Located just a few miles from the Carhartt headquarters in Dearborn, MI is Harry’s Army Surplus, your one-stop shop in-store or online for all things Carhartt! Visit today and get your Carhartt on!
Take a knee and drink water! Stay hydrated! Drill Sergeant yelled this to us more times than I can remember. This advice is too important to overlook. It is really easy to succumb to heat illness and drinking plenty of water is one of the easiest and best ways to stay cool and safe, especially in the record-breaking heat a lot of our country has experienced this summer. Hydration packs are excellent for soldiers, hikers, fitness enthusiasts, or anyone who is looking for a hands-free way to deliver that delicious H2O. Harry’s Army Surplus has a great selection of hydration packs with awesome features. We have packs with MOLLE straps for attaching your gear and even packs with extra storage and pockets so you don’t need to lug anything else on your back. Bite tubes make it easy to drink without worrying about opening and closing the tube with your hands. We stock packs in different colors and patterns, so you are sure to find something to strike your fancy. In store in Metro-Detroit or online, check out our selection and Stay Hydrated!
More than just a cool fashion trend, dog tags are an important means of identification for military members. Before uniformly printed tags started showing up in the United States around the 1900′s, soldiers would print their own identification on paper or other items worn on the body to assist in identifying them in case of the unthinkable. Dog tags have two main purposes; identification of fallen soldiers, and important medical information in case the soldier is unable to speak or unconscious. Nowadays, tags usually follow a five line format:
Dog tags are a great way to express yourself even if you are not in the military. Favorite quotes, beliefs, song lyrics, or anniversaries are just a few of the things being printed on tags. Harry’s Army Surplus offers personalized dog tags. Four lines with 16 characters per line, letters, numbers, and the symbols - , . / with the option to add silencers on a ball chain with smaller second chain. Your imagination is the limit on what you can print. If you are in the Metro-Detroit area, you may choose to pick up your tags in store. Order some dog tags and express yourself today!
What is ALICE and MOLLE? We all know the military loves acronyms, and we aren’t talking about beautiful women. When you need to carry a bunch of stuff, there are a few “names” to remember.
ALICE stands for All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment. It consists of an equipment belt and suspenders that a variety of pouches (first aid, ammo) can be attached to with clips. A rucksack with metal frame known as an Alice Pack carries all that the soldier needs to survive in the field. This system was introduced in the 1970′s.
MOLLE is the latest system the military uses, Modular Lightweight Load Carrying Equipment (pronounced Molly). It was introduced in 1997 but saw greatest use after 9/11. MOLLE makes use of rows of PALS webbing, Pouch Attachment Ladder System to attach gear and pouches to packs, vests, and more. MOLLE gear is incredibly versatile and more people are utilizing this system, from military to police to EMTs.
Whether you are a Detroiter or abroad, Harry’s Army Surplus has the ALICE and MOLLE gear to help you carry that load. Check us out in-store or order online!
Whether you are a prepper, a survivalist, a believer in the zombie apocalypse or someone who just likes to be prepared for emergencies, having a flashlight in your kit of tools and weapons is a must. The flashlight you have also needs to be durable, reliable, and most importantly, it needs to be bright. A manufacturer named Klarus has successfully designed a line of lights with these characteristics in mind.
Klarus is a leading manufacturer of state of the art illumination tools. They have employed experienced engineers and designers to create flashlights that meet the demands of law enforcement and military, but can also be used camping, spotting zombies, or during a power outage. These lights come in different sizes, lumen ranges, and have different light modes.
The Klarus X10 LED Tactical Flashlight is a perfect size flashlight that works well for use in military and law enforcement fields as well as being useful around the home. This tactical light has a maximum output of 470 lumens making it one of the brightest lights on the market. The X10 LED light has three light modes high (470 lumens). medium (150 lumens), and low (10 lumens), as well as a strobe mode at 470 lumens. The dual switch operation is easy to use and this awesome flashlight is waterproof and dust resistant.
The Klarus X10 is just one flashlight in a line full of great illumination tools. You really cant go wrong with any of the Klarus Flashlights. They are tough and reliable so you will not be disappointed. Their brightness is unmatched and you will never be caught off guard, whether its a zoombie in a dark corner or a spider in the crawlspace. Check out our selection flashlights online or in store!
Contamination of oceans, rivers, lakes, and ground water is caused by a variety of different pollutants. Many of the pollutants that make their way into our water source are man made chemicals that are discharged into bodies of water, either directly or inadvertently. The majority of these chemicals are not only dangerous to the organisms living in these bodies of water, but also to surrounding nature, animals, and plants using these water sources for sustaining life.
Aside from the ecological threat chemicals in our water pose, we as a society have to be worried about drinking from such water sources unless we have taken the proper steps to purify and treat the water. Factories and industrial manufacturers are actually allowed by the government a certain amount of air and water pollution every year. This is why when you are hiking or camping, it is important to have some type of water filtration device on hand if you need to use water from a river, stream, or lake.
To remove the harmful effects of contaminated water for drinking, bathing, or cooking, the new AquaStar Plus water purifier is the way to go. This water decontaminator is a spectracidal treatment solution container that is ideal for any climate or setting. The UV-C portable water purifier by AquaStar uses a pair of standard CR-123 batteries, and UV light deactivation to significantly reduce the number of viruses and bacteria, quickly giving you safe drinking water, one liter at a time. The simple, lightweight, one-button water purifier can treat a liter of water in 80 seconds.
In addition to the AquaStar Plus purifier, the AquaStar AUX Power Kit provides you with an alternative running option using built-in batteries. The Aqua Star Plus water purifier comes with a wall adapter that fits North American outlets, and a cigarette lighter adapter for purifying on the go.
Hiking is a great pastime. It is a nice way to explore the environment while at the same time getting some fresh air and exercise. What you wear on your feet is the most important aspect of hiking. So many inexperienced hikers think that they can just throw on a pair of sandals, moccasins, or tennis shoes and head out for a day of walking.
Choosing the right shoes for your hike can make or break the experience. The following are the most important things to consider when you are selecting hiking boots.
1. FIT. You must get a boot that fits well. One that offers you support in all areas. If you have a wide foot, then you need to purchase a wide shoe. The same goes for those with a narrow foot. A good fit will help prevent the aches and pains that will end your hike prematurely.
2. PROTECTION. Your tennis shoes may be comfortable but they will not protect you in the same way that a hiking boot will. You want to make sure that you choose a boot that covers your entire foot and ankle. These boots should also have a sturdy sole. As you walk, you may encounter sticks, poison ivy or oak, and even an occasional snake. Full protection is key to selecting a hiking shoe.
3. WATERPROOF. Water is one biggest issue you are likely to encounter when hiking. Wet feet not only can affect your body temperature but can also cause unnecessary soreness and rubbing. When selecting a hiking boot or shoe, don’t just settle for water resistant. Instead choose a waterproof option instead. They will likely cost a bit more but you will find they provide endless comfort even when wet.
4. STYLING. Some worry about how their boots will look. Choosing the right style means getting a quality boot. Selecting a boot with strong laces, at least ankle high, and with little to no heel will serve you best. Choosing a style that is dark in color and made of a sturdy material will help to ensure that they remain in good condition for a long time.
Selecting the right hiking boot is important. Even if you only hike occasionally or are just getting into it, the right shoe is imperative. Honestly, purchasing a good hiking boot is the best investment you will ever make.