Archive for March, 2013
Warm weather means spending more time outdoors and we’re all ready for that! One of our favorite things to do during the spring and summer is go hiking. Here’s a great list of what to look for if you’re in the market for some new hiking boots!
1) Comfort: Make sure you take the time to test out different boots in the store, walking around to see how the boots feel. Make sure the boots have enough support, while still having enough cushion for your feet. You also want to make sure that your feet are comfortable, yet secure in the boot. If the boots are too loose, then your feet will slip around in the boot. If you are walking downhill this means your toes will slide to the top of the shoe or boot causing great discomfort. The same can also be said if the boot is too small. We have known plenty of hikers that have lost toenails from getting the wrong size boot!!!
2) Water Resistance: Hiking on outdoor trails brings lots of different types of weather and terrain. You definitely don’t want rain that you encounter halfway through the hike to make your boots squishy, wet, cold, and uncomfortable. Buying a waterproof boot will keep your feet dry and warm if you encounter some sudden showers or if you’re hiking through puddles, creeks, or streams.
3) Weight: Although there is some contradictions on whether lightweight boots are best for hiking or heavy duty boots that provide good support. In this case, it’s probably going to be best to go with what you find most comfortable! Just keep in mind that a heavy-duty boot, although providing good support, will add weight as you are hiking long distances.
4) Sole: The sole of your boot is one of the main characteristics that will tell you how long a boot will last. The deeper the grooves on the sole, the longer the tread will last. If the treads are thin, they will likely wear out quicker and need to be replaced more frequently.
5) Lastly, the material of the boot is something to take into consideration. Leather hiking boots tend to last longer, but are generally heavier than their nylon or canvas hiking boots.
As many of you may already know, the very popular line of Converse boots has been discontinued. No need to worry, though, Reebok will carry boots that are very similar to the discontinued Converse styles so if you had a favorite Converse boot, make sure to take a look at the new Reebok boots!
Reebok will carry various different styles of boots including military boots, tactical boots, and uniform boots for law enforcement officers, EMT’s, and security guards. Some of my favorite styles include the Reebok Rapid Response Military Boot featuring a composite toe boot that is airport friendly, lightweight, and protects your foot like the comparable steel toe boots.
There is also a comparable version of the men’s rapid response boot for women. The Women’s Rapid Response Boot features many of the same characteristics as the men’s boot including being airport friendly and having a convenient side zipper. There are many other Reebok boots available at Harry’s, take a look and order a pair today!